Monday, March 21, 2011

Moab ride report

Wow. What a blast. Good weather, good people, great bikes (especially the SBC) and I even got to hang out and ride my brother.

Started out the week realizing one of my trip participants had never ridden a bike before. Luckily I brought the tandem and we rode the whole slickrock "Hard" loop. People were blown away from the sight of a tandem on slickrock. Cleared some of the steepest uphill climbs that people on solo bikes couldnt even do. (We were actually lifting the front wheel off the ground on some climbs. If you have ever ridden a tandem, you would know how hard that is to do) Here's the GPS data from slickrock that day... Note the Max MPH and disregard the time. We had to stop a lot. (Lots of new un-experienced riders)
<a href="http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/map#aprosise/Cycling/moab/tandem/136731/full">Track map</a>
The next two days we rode the MOAB brand trails. They were a lot of fun and had easier trails for the newbies so they could figure out their bikes. Bar B and Killer B had lots of techy rock sections that were a lot of fun (But killed my hands and arms) This will be the last time I ride rigid in Moab.
<a href="http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/map#aprosise/Cycling/moab/tandem/136729/full">Track map</a>
 The next day we planned for porcupine rim. We went and chatted with the guys at Chile Pepper bike shop. (Our go-to place) and they said that LPS was in good condition also. Deal. LPS to porcupine was our plan. A couple guys on my trip wanted to rent 6-inch bikes, so they signed up for three Giant Reign's. Well crap, I might as well rent one too! So we had 4 Giant's reserved and ready to shred. We made sure to get insurance on them too. I couldn't believe the shit that could be ran over. Im sold. But wont be buying a giant. Ive got my eyes on a Transition or a Trek remedy 7....Now I just need to move somewhere I can use it. Here's a good little video on the seatpost of my bike.  Go over my bars once and bottom out the suspension a couple times. The camera falls down halfway through but makes for an interesting camera angle. Check out 3:23 for some nice footage of bottoming out.


<a href="http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/map#aprosise/Cycling/moab/tandem/134038/full">Track map</a>
Damage report on the rentals (total across 4 bikes):  3 destroyed big chainrings, Top Tube on kales had some serious "Rock" damage, Two ripped seats, two bent derailleur hangers (one wrapped on the cassette), Chain suck into the spokes, I scratched my bars, shifters and brake levers.
Here's the security deposit that vince had to put on his credit card. $11,200.
That day was lots of fun, hit some pretty big drops. A couple were around 5 feet. Landed a couple hard enough to blow my feet out of my spds.

The last day we rode "Pipe Dream"..... Wow. My favorite trail besides LPS and porcupine on big bikes. Very flowy singletrack with techy rock sections. The go-to single speed trail in Moab. Very new, local rider built and 2 min from downtown. I think it was about a 8-9 miles out and back. So good.








All in all, it was a fantastic trip, My new Standard rode great and i cant wait to get back out there to do some more. Hopefully I will be able to get out to do the Whole enchilada (35 miles of downhill starting at 11,000 feet, descending all the way to 4,000 feet)
-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment